Monday, September 1, 2014

Where I get my (slightly skewed) ideas

photo credit: maureen lunn via photopin cc
I make a lot of mistakese. Mistakes. I could just label myself accident prone and call it quits, but I believe in making lemonade out of lemons (as long as I have lots of sugar and gin).

So I twist it (still with the lemon metaphor) into something I can use.

For example, I was typing the phrase, her clitoris, but my fingers typed herclitoris.

Okay, is it just me or does that sound like a heroine from a Greek  myth?

So then I start spinning. Herclitoris (pronounced Her-CLIH-to-REES) is a follower of Athena and vows to be pure, until she meets time traveler Dirk Thunderthighs, who must visit the Oracle at Delphi to get home, needs a guide and coaxes (heh) Herclitoris into the job. Much attraction ensues.

Not all my creative surges come this way, but a fair portion do.

10 comments:

  1. I swear, I get more ideas staring at a blank page on the computer screen than anything else. But I try and pull from something that gave me an emotional response. Then my brain takes that emotion for a roller coaster through crazy town before I get to the end.

    And now talking about creative juices makes me really want to call off work and stay home and write. I think I feel a cough coming on. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hack* *cough* ;)

    Your way is a great way to get stuff to fuel an entire book! I think that's why your stories are so page-turning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn it! Now I need to know what happens to Herclitoris and Dirk Thunderthighs. If time rips these lovers apart, is all forever lost?!? Will Dirk ever find Herclitoris again?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Or, burdened with the curse of the Ychrom'some, will he need a map to find Herclitoris?

      Delete
  4. He will. She's hiding in a rowboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whereupon he will woo her with the aid of his faithful friend G. Spot. :)

      Delete
  5. Maybe you could feature an epic smackdown with some Roman gods. The Vestal Virgins could learn a lot from Herclitoris...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, yes!! There's a myth waiting to be written, VVE cage match, Herclitoris and the Vestal Virgins vs. Hercules played by the Rock (of Ages)... :D

      Delete
  6. This book is just writing itself for you, Mary. LOL

    ReplyDelete