Monday, September 15, 2014

What IS Funny?

What is funny?
Do you find humor in clumsy people?
What about the cartoons on TV?
Maybe it’s the movie where you laugh at the silliness of someone?

Sometimes the funniest things are your animals.
Or simply reading the drama on Facebook.
What about sex?
Do you think sex is funny?

Some people like silly one-liners.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

I would like to find the person who invented sex and see what he's working on now.

Others prefer the longer jokes.

SMART-ASS
A high school English teacher reminds her class of tomorrow's final exam. "Now class, I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being there tomorrow. I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury or illness, or a death in your immediate family - but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!"
A smart-ass guy in the back of the room raises his hand and asks, "What would you say if tomorrow I said I was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?" The entire class does its best to stifle their laughter and snickering.

When silence is restored, the teacher smiles sympathetically at the student, shakes her head, and sweetly says, "Well, I guess you'd have to write the exam with your other hand."

_________

I bring this up because people think it is so hard to write funny into most romance books. I always try to have humor in my stories because I think life is pretty damn funny. Sex is funny too.
Whether it is the sounds made or the sex face where you resemble Goofy in an epileptic seizure.

How many times have you had a cramp in your leg?
You ever have the cats or dogs jump on the bed when you are getting busy?
Do they yawn after you think you’ve had an amazing encounter?
Life is pretty funny when you think about it.

My greatest laughter has usually come from being in a group and the contagious effect that a great mood and some quick wit provide. To make or hear laughing is a true joy. Kids are always the most pure laughers. When you get older you laugh from experiences a lot and how they were funny.

I have always loved stand-up comedians. The instant gratification from a good or bad joke and how they react fascinated me. I have a LOT of recordings from the Bill Cosby heyday, Jonathan Winters, Buddy Hacket, Redd Fox, Joan Rivers to all the newer comedians out now trying to become the next big thing.

I just love to laugh.

Lately there have been a lot of celebrities passing away and they are all over the news. I remember a lot of the movies and the other media they were on.

For me, the passing of Robin Williams hit a nerve. Shook me to my core. Robin was an icon for people and to me he was by far, the funniest person I had ever watched. Hearing and bringing the awareness of depression to the forefront was a mixed blessing.

George Carlin and Richard Pryor were really popular stand ups and they set the tone. Robin was like a Tasmanian devil going full speed on acid.

I’m only bringing this up because everyone has certain people that inspired him or her. I always gravitated to Robin and Steve Martin. Both comics that were different than the standard comedians.

I post a lot of jokes and thoughts about being happy and sharing the joy of life. Not getting too serious but life is too damn short to not have a laugh. I mean look at farts. Even the word is funny. The reactions are always awkward. Especially because most women don’t fart, but tend to be by small animals that do.

This blog probably didn’t make a lot of sense but in a way it didn’t need to.
My intent was to have people think about what makes them laugh and what they find funny.


Because if you can’t laugh at yourself…call me so I can laugh at you instead.

Want to read more from S.L. Carpenter? Check out...

And don't forget to connect with S. L. on FACEBOOK and TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment