Monday, February 13, 2017

Roxy Mews's #CheapDate with Brut Cuvee No.5

Brut Cuvee No. 5.  No, it’s not a perfume. It’s a small bottle of Rose sparkling wine I picked up at Aldi for $4.99.

Since it’s close to Valentine’s Day, I figured a little bottle of pink champagne was the perfect way to have a cheap date!

This bottle is smaller than the usual 750ml size (half the size to be exact), but it would be a great treat to toss in a picnic basket or to accompany a dinner. Would also be a good one to sneak inside a coffee cup at the movies.

Not that I have ever done such a thing…



First Impressions

I am a sucker for packaging. And this bad boy has a real cork and is going to give me that satisfying pop I look for in champagne.

YES. Perfect pop, and OMG. It even has a cute little star on the bottom of the cork. Adorable.

Nice sweet tang to the smell. I think this is going to be a winner.



The Pour

I know this isn’t a champagne flute. I still haven’t unpacked those. Don’t judge me. It takes everyone a full year to unpack, right?

But there are tons of bubbles in this bad boy. It’s dancing and daring me to take a sip.

I’m excited about this one.



First Sip

Well…huh. I am surprised. This is a lot more dry than I was expecting. With the scent and the description of fruit on the back I thought this would be really sweet.

I need to taste that again. For research.

I don’t hate it. At all. But my nose is smelling something different than my tongue is tasting and it’s fucking with my brain.

Maybe this is what people talk about when they say a flavor is complex. But I’m not that complex of a person so culture like this fucks with me.

I feel like the back of my tongue is folding in on itself. Is that what dry wine does to your tongue?

I’m going to make hubby try some. I need more data.

**Time Lapse 10 minutes. 2 of taste testing, 8 of me laughing**

I should have had a camera. That was damn near bitter beer face. Hubby didn’t approve. So for the sweet lovers out there, this is not your jam. Trust me.







Final Verdict…

Am I going to drink the rest? Yes. Am I glad it’s not a full bottle? Yes. With the punch the flavor gives, it’s not a gulpable wine.

Packaging is adorable, wine is drinkable, and it would make one hell of a cute gift for valentines day if you are giving someone a gift basket. It’s even pink for crying out loud. Slap a valentine on this bad boy and give it to a teacher. She needs a drink after dealing with all those kids, I’m sure.

I wouldn’t run out to stock up on this, but it’s a solid 3 stars out of 5 for me. Since it’s not overly sweet, it would go best with a meal that has a little savory punch to it.


I’d drink it. It’s less than $5. Cheap date status achieved. It’s not like y’all are here for refined reviews.

See you next week. I've got two more bottles to check out.

~Roxy




To find Roxy's books with buy links and what she has coming up next check out her website at RoxyRocksMe.com

6 comments:

  1. Hahahhahahahaahh! Bitter Champagne Face is REAL!!!!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kicked myself for not taking my phone downstairs when I had him try it. He had to get himself some candy to combat the taste. LOL.

      Delete
  2. I'll go geek on you: "Brut" means dry... so anytime you see that, you'll get bitter beer face 😞 However never say never because you might come to like less sweet! 🍾🥂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. That makes sense then. LOL. I'm not going to lie. I thought "Brut" was a brand name. *hangs head in shame* It wasn't bad, but it was different than I was expecting. I do enjoy some less sweet options too. The fruit smell threw me off. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hrrm, most inexpensive sparklers are too sweet for me. Might have to look for this bad boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local Aldi had a whole crate full of these. If you have one nearby, I'd check it out. Can't really go wrong for $5.

      Delete