Monday, October 6, 2014

Ever Feel Left Out? How to be one of the Cool Kids.

photo credit: bunchofpants via photopin cc
So my sense of humor isn't for everyone. I got confirmation of that this week when I was searching for funny pictures for a party "Caption This" game. (By the way, if you're on Facebook, some of these captions are hilarious, and well worth checking out (photos courtesy of Roxy Mews and S.L. Carpenter).)

I went to my usual public-domain pic site and typed "weird" into the search box. Immediately dozens of very funny pictures came up. These are three examples.

Then, thinking I was on a roll, I typed in "funny". And got...bleh. Strange. Seriously O_o sorts of pics.

photo credit: Alex Dram via photopin cc
What is wrong with me?

Well, maybe nothing.

Lots of us feel marginalized, which is many, many syllables to say "left out". As long as it doesn't hurt someone else, being different doesn't have to be a bad thing. Especially now with the Internet. Someone out there gets you. It's a matter of finding them.

Look at this website, Lust With A Laugh. I never in a zillion years would've figured there were other folks who liked to make funny with their lusty romances.

Sometimes being outside the pack is a good thing. It's not an easy place to be, like the nail that won't pound down like all the good little nails. But sometimes that's just what's needed, a strongwilled soul going against the grain. Is Bill Gates a sheeple? Robert Downy Jr.? Malcolm Gladwell? I don't know where we'd be as a world without these folk, but I'd guess many of us would be the poorer.

photo credit: wili_hybrid via photopin cc
It's like ice cream. Some people like vanilla, some chocolate, some strawberry, and some pistachio. But you know what? Doesn't matter. It's all lovely, lovely ice cream, so it's all good! (I'm chocolate, so it this case I'm the sheeple :) ).

Sorry about how these paragraphs line up with the pictures. Ice cream and the pic to the left remind me of a Frasier episode where Lillith hides in the hotel bathroom with the breakfast cart and the running gag is: Food? In the bathroom?

Annnyyway...point being, if it's funny to you and doesn't hurt anyone, laugh. Laughter is good for you. And if it's funny to someone else and doesn't hurt anyone, don't begrudge them a laugh. They'll be easier to get along with, which is a win for everyone. 



photo credit: Pixel Addict via photopin cc
Also be sure to check out S.L.'s post What Is Funny?



No comments:

Post a Comment