Monday, May 26, 2014

If I Were a Super--Guest Chandra Ryan



If You Could Have a Super Power, Which One Would You Pick?

It’s become one of my kids’ favorite games. If you could pick any superpower, which one would you pick? It seems like a simple enough game. Who wouldn’t want a superpower? Really, any of them seem like they’d be a blessing. But first appearances can be deceiving. As my kids have taught me. This simple question has lead to all kinds of philosophical and hilarious debate in our house.

Telepath?
It’s a fairly common one as far as superpowers go. Two of the characters I’ve written actually have this ability. And I can see the value of being able to know what people are really thinking. You’d never have to wonder if someone is lying to you. Or if there’s something wrong with that used car you’re about to buy. But what about all the other times? Most of the time, people aren’t really having intelligent or interesting thoughts. My mind often wonders into weird areas. Everybody’s does. And do you really want to know every time somebody has a wedgie. Because, you know, when we have one that’s all we can think about. And then there’s the endless list of ways to get rid of said wedgie without anyone noticing.

Shape Shifting?
Not so much like a human/animal shape shifting. Although that is pretty cool as well. I was actually thinking about the ability to change your form at will. Plastic surgery would become obsolete. If you wanted a smaller nose or a larger chest, all you’d have to do is think it. And you wouldn’t have to worry about the dangers of going under the knife to achieve it. But you couldn’t possibly hold the illusion at all times, could you? It seems like it’d be mentally taxing. I’ve always wondered how men feel when the pushup bras come off during a date. I could only imagine how a guy would feel when his date becomes someone else in front of his eyes. It seems like it might be enough to send him to the mental hospital.

Super Strength?
It’d be great to be strong enough to stop a building from crashing down on innocent people, right? To stop a train before it runs over the damsel in distress? But I think the downside to this one is fairly obvious. The whole pocket full of kryptonite comes to mind.

But when your kids ask you a question, you have to answer right? So which super power would I choose? Teleportation. I know, I know, I can already imagine all the walls I’d get stuck in. And the times my mind would wonder mid-teleport and I’d end up in some weird place. But I just can’t overlook the convenience when I need a gallon of milk. I wouldn’t have to get in the car and drive there, I’d only have to think it and I’d be there. Or when my kids call with an emergency? I could be there in an instant.

So, now that I’ve told you mine it’s your turn. Which super power would you pick if you had the choice?
My newest release features a telepath. One created by a crazy geneticist. She didn’t ask for the abilty and doesn’t really want it all that much. But she still has it. And she has to find her place in a military that wasn’t made for her and doesn’t really want her. How will she deal with her super power? And is it a blessing or a hindrance? Here’s the blurb:

Subservience:

Universal Defiance, Book Five

Harlow is a Subservient, created to serve the military’s needs. Even though her kind’s been freed and she’s managed to become a military captain, she still struggles with relating to humans, many of whom hate or fear her. So when a hot new navigator comes aboard her ship and she can’t stop imagining him naked above her, she has no idea how to handle the pleasurable distraction.

Parker is a genetically engineered soldier, modified to be the strongest, brightest and fastest. But not even he is strong enough to fight the pull between him and his new captain.

As their attraction grows and the affair deepens, they have to work together to stop a political coup. If they fail, Harlow will lose the ship she loves. Parker doesn’t know if she’s capable of sharing his feelings, but he’s willing to risk it all to protect her.

A Romantica® sci-fi erotic romance from Ellora’s Cave

Want to know more? There are excerpts on my website and the Ellora’s Cave site:


Or you can download a sample from Amazon:



Being from a rather nomadic family, Chandra Ryan loves to travel and meet people. But she’s found that sometimes, like when you’re stuck inside because of a good old-fashioned Southwestern heat wave, you have to make do. Fortunately for her and her loving family, who don’t like seeing her suffer from cabin fever, she’s found creating new people and places equally as fascinating. Also, you’re a lot less likely to spill your ice tea.

Want to know more about me?
You can find me on Twitter: @ChandraRyan and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chandra.ryan

6 comments:

  1. I think being able to fly/hover. Imagine the possibilities, especially if both you and your partner could fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying would be pretty awesome. And it would be fun to watch the news after flying. Could you imagine all the radar glitches being reported. It'd probably drive everyone crazy trying to figure out what'd happened :)

      Delete
  2. Now THERE is a thought. LOL. I still say psychic abilities. But ones that I could control. I'm crazy enough without the added voices. ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psychic abilities definitely have their advantages. Especially if they could be controlled. I guess all you'd really need is a mental volume knob. And I think every reader has one of those. Otherwise we'd never finish a book!

      Delete
  3. Steve, Roxy, lol! Breathing underwater opens up hot tub possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That sounds like it has the makings for an awesome scene :)

      Delete